Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

It ain't called chronic for nothing

Rock. Me. Hard place. That's where I'm at right now with the whole MS thing.

I'm due for new meds, which can't just be picked up at your family friendly pharmacy. Nope. Gotta order them through the insurance company's specialty pharmacy, which really isn't that big of a deal actually. They're shipped directly to me three-month's supply at time. Pretty simple. But not when your disease and the said specialty pharmacy are conspiring against you.

Here's the problem:
There's a good chance that those oh-so-friendly shots I'm taking aren't actually curbing the disease. At my last MRI, my noggin showed new lesions. New lesions can mean more disability faster, quicker, and stronger. Okay, no big. I deal well. Probably too well. So at the end of this month, I'll have new MRIs done ($$$) to see if there are even more new active lesions. I'm just about betting there are considering my whole numb, burning foot issue (which by the way seems to have gone away!). Note: The symptom can go away, but that doesn't mean there are not any active lesions. If there are, my doc wants me to go to a new medication. The once-a-day ouch kind. But I also need to renew my current prescription right now with my doctor.

So: I need to call my doctor for a new prescription for a medication that most likely I won't be taking for the next three months. Call my specialty pharmacy to order not three months (standard), but one month in the event that I will switch medications after my next doctor's appoint to review the oh-so-fun MRIs I take at the end of the month. Here's where it could be easier on me: Why the hell does the pharmacy need a new prescription? Hello, MS is a chronic, incurable disease! I also can't skip this medication because you titrate up slowly to the current dosage.

All this, while I'm busy at work and it's the holidays. And I wonder where my holiday spirit is. Bah humbug!

3 comments:

  1. It breaks my heart that you have to deal with this crap...but if there is anyone out there strong enough to not let it break their spirit...it is you. Stay strong. You are doing a good job. It sucks, I know, but I am proud of you for not letting it slow you down. Reward yourself with a small treat after dealing with this MS business...a chai...or a new book...a yoga poser shirt...you deserve something fun to balance out the yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessaca,

    I will keep you in my prayers!! You can do it - I know that you are a strong willed woman!!

    Love lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you are sick!!! It sounds terrible - I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete