Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Snail mail love

Some people are flabbergasted to learn that I'm one of eight children. Truly astounded. Well wishes are sent to my mom, and she's seen as one strong or very stupid woman. To have children, I think it take a little bit of both. Some wisdom and enough sense to know you really don't want to know what being a parent is all about. One eye open. One eye closed.

The greatest thing about a big family (my mom was one of three daughters who went to have more than the 1.25 children average. So I have lots of cousins as well) is the amount of love. You can just about guarantee that someone is thinking about you, and you're thinking about them. It's a little thing, but sometimes those thoughts about the other person turn into an email to check in or even little packages and cards.

Today, I got two packages. One from my truly artistic cousin, Gary, who "dapples" in wood carving. I say dabble because he's truly modest about his skill and the works of art he creates beneath his hands. A few years ago he gave me a wooden box that he had carved butterflies into. It sits in my living room and it's one of my most treasured items in that room. When I asked him how he created it because it looked so difficult and like it took a lot of patience, he said, "Jessie, it's not that hard. Let me show you." Yeah, right. Always so modest. His most recent work is just as beautiful and went straight to my heart: a hummingbird, that has some lore behind it. Hummingbirds are my favorite! Perhaps because they're so fleeting. Now I have one that will stick around and remind me of that great family of mine.

The other package was just as wonderful. Capricious sent me two of her new creations—belts. I'm in love with them. Bright lemon yellow and rich corals are such a colorful addition to my often-black wardrobe. We also did paper swap. Capricious knows her sister well. The papers are muted funky patterns with a touch of classic. They're almost too pretty to cut into. What's a girl to do?!

Truly blessed. And obviously loved. Thanks family!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you liked your box! I had fun selecting paper for you! Can't wait to get your paper! I love swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are loved, for sure! You must be doing something right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sweetie!!! You are truly a blessing!! Love Regina

    ReplyDelete