Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

Truly, madly knitting


Ahh knitting. I love you. I hate you. I don't really understand you. But alas! I prevail. Fetching, you have met your match. I'll knit you little thumb ring. I'll knit you in the end.

I apologize for the horrible picture, but when a knitter is in the zone, she shall not waste time on photography staging. If you look closely, you will see a white line of yarn on the upper right. That, my friend, is waste yarn. The pattern read: Using waste yarn, k7; slip these sts back to left needle and k them again using working yarn. Say what?! Translation: Instead of using your working yarn, grab a piece of any old yarn and just knit as you would your working yarn for seven stitches. I swear the hardest part of knitting is translating pattern directions. You literally have to do research on it. Luckily, we live in a modern age and you can just Google the directions in question and almost always you will find someone with the same question you had. I wonder what knitters did before the modern age. Gave up is my guess. Maybe one day I'll write a book Truly, Madly Knitting: A Book of Pattern Translations for the Sane Going Insane Trying to Read Knitting Patterns. I think it would be a bestseller.

No comments:

Post a Comment